Recently, it's come to my attention that I have a challenge to meet, a life-altering decision to make: can I continue to have contact with my mother and still hold onto my integrity, my sanity, my serenity? My mother (who at her best was at one time glamorous, brilliant, interesting, eclectic, and self-absorbed) has morphed over the past years and decades into an unrepentant, myopic, full-blown narcissist. She turns all conversations back to the topic of herself, thinks nothing of the true welfare of others (although she sometimes pretends to do so for short periods when it serves her), and can never take even partial responsibility for any of her actions or inactions. "I am sorry" is a phrase which never falls from her lips...never. Everyone has bad times and bad luck, but in her eyes, her bad times and bad luck are always worse than anyone else's. She's been "going through a hard time" from the years of my earliest memories, at age 3 or 4, more or less non-stop up through today. Her reaction to others putting up healthy boundaries (in my case, very late in life) causes her to fly into one of her legendary rages. She also cannot take responsibility for the fact that her actions (and inactions) have been prime contributors to the very negative, sad, isolated place her life has now become.
Her friends, tired of her incessant self-focus and self-pity, have been abandoning her in droves, finally tiring of the asymmetric nurturing she requires of all those around her; this trend has put even more pressure on me, in recent years, to be there for her, as one of her last remaining contacts. And now even I am throwing in the towel, going against every ounce of socialization I've received, as her only daughter, from her and from society at large.
Because one of the primary methods of a narcissist is be at the center of attention (whether positive or negative, sometimes it doesn't even matter to them) and to have others see life through their distorted point of view, it seems that children of narcissistic parents can really bear the brunt of this disorder. It seems that it is only now --- after 40 years of life on this earth, a decade or more of escalating attempts to help her with her never-ending, chronic-by-design problems and issues, several recent severe crises due to my overextending my and my partner's energies to try to help even more --- that I am able to even look at the history, the issues, and for a sane path out of this dark thicket of her pathology. I attribute this growth to increasing self-esteem and resiliency, due in no small part to a wonderful partner and friends, as well as a bit of therapy.
Merely telling my friends "she makes all conversations into brochures about herself" or "she can't apologize" doesn't even begin to illustrate the true depth of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. If I sit down to chat and tell these ridiculous stories over again with various friends, particularly in enough detail to give even a fraction of the full picture, it will take up too much of our potentially much more pleasant time together. At the same time, I do want those who are close to me to understand what it is that I've gone through, on whatever level they're interested or have time for --- from skimming a post or two to reading more extensively. Perhaps most importantly, these memories have been living in my head for years, and I've been holding onto them almost like a set of worry beads, a template to keep in mind in case other narcissistic people try to enter my life, so I can run in the other direction. Since my life seems blissfully narcissist-free at this point and I'm beginning to trust my judgment a bit more, I think I can safely begin to let these memories go, to the best extent possible. Writing them out, I'm hoping, will go a good way toward accomplishing that "letting go".
If you're reading this, you are one of the people closest and most dear to me. I welcome your comments and cherish your ongoing support and friendship.
11 comments:
I have read countless times that the narcissist worsens with age. Your story just confirms this.
I'm trying my best to break contact when my Nmomster is still relatively young at age 55.
Even so, I can also say that yes, she also has worsened with age.
I think with age their mortality really gnaws at them, and they feel that somehow they are so special, and so entitled, that they will be the first to cheat death.
I know my Nmomster drinks to dull the reality of death that we all have to face.
Thanks for sharing your tale. What did your Nmom ever do to apologize for? I speak with sarcasm.
I just discovered this forum myself in the past 6 months, and also use blogger, but I certain I am not ready to share it.
Congratulations on your progress and everything you are doing to keep yourself healthy.
Thanks, Kurt...
I know everyone has a different process. But for me, every single comment on my specific situation that I get from othersis only a supportive, affirming thing for me.
I generally don't doubt myself, except when it comes to her. Everyone's comments only help me in my process of becoming stronger.
Thank you so much.
Elise
Thank you for sharing your blog with the inhabitants of the ACON group. I look forward to reading what you have here. I'll be checking back often.
With NPD and narcissism, the full meaning of the saying, "the devil is in the details" is illustrated. I understand what you mean when you describe having to go into great detail to convey some kind of full picture of the insanity of growing up ACON to our friends. Few are able to have the patience to listen long enough to "get it". Unless you've been there...you probably won't "get" it anyway. What you've done with your blog is a great way to deal with this reality. It lets you get the shit off your chest, and it allows friends to inbibe the insanity to whatever degree they are able to take it.
Oh my gosh!! There's an ACON group??? Thank you thank you thank YOU for sharing this! Loving your blog already.
The non-apologizing thing really hits home. If I ever bring up something really bad in my childhood (that was caused by the mom) she says (rather than apologizing), "Oh, I can't bear to think about that. I just block it out." Uh, yeah, thanks a lot, I wish I was able to do that. Grrrrr.
I had to take true distance from my Narcissit mother and it was very difficult and painful. I also felt guilty and experienced deep grief but my life has blossomed since.
Hi Elise, Elizabeth recommended your blog and everything you wrote resonated - LOUDLY - with me. My adoptive father is 80 and was diagnosed with NPD several years ago when he entered an assisted living facility. While my blog is really about being an adoptee from the failed social experiment that was the Closed Era, I've ended up writing a lot about the nightmare of being intentionally placed with a narcissistic parents. My a-mom was self-absorbed, too. They DO get worse with age. I'm amazed your mother even HAD friends to begin with, but am not surprised they're dropping her now. I sincerely hope you can find the path to "letting go" and gain some peace...without guilt. If you do, please post the directions!
Well, you know from my LJ NPD group that I cut ties from my N mom 3 years ago. It's one of the best decisions I ever made. Sure, there are times that I miss having a mom. Times that I wish I could reach out and call her and get that motherly support I crave. But I know I'm never going to get it. I've offered to go to joint counseling to try to salvage some type of relationship with her and she has always refused saying "You're the one with the problem, not me." The fact that she's never even SEEN her only grandkid let alone inquire about her makes me know that she is beyond help and not worth my time. I'm not trying to simplify it, because it's a big deal, but simply giving you a perspective of someone who has cut the ties. When I weight the pros and the cons, the pros far outweigh any benefit of having any contact with her. Hope this helps. (Robyn)
Elise,
Loved that article you linked to written by Rappaport. And then I saw he's located near me so I have an appointment. He's AWFULLY expensive. Yikes. But there's something specific I want to address. Will let you know how it goes.
And sheesh, I just wrote about narcissists and BLAME b/c it came up recently w/my A-dad and there it was...your mom does the same thing, too. And the bit about the vacations in an earlier post. OMG!!! My dad has ruined two Club Med vacations with his dramas and I put BIG BOUNDARIES/measures in place with the vacation we just took.
Elise, Thanks to you, I've had several sessions w/Alan Rappaport. So worth the money.
"Everyone has bad times and bad luck, but in her eyes, her bad times and bad luck are always worse than anyone else's. She's been 'going through a hard time' from the years of my earliest memories, at age 3 or 4, more or less non-stop up through today."
YES! The excuses change, but the behavior never varies.
Post a Comment