November 4, 2006

upping the ante


I found out from my brother J. last week that my mom began taking MS Contin, a morphine derivative, recently. After going to several of the larger Boston-area hospitals and being turned away (either because she wasn't emergent enough or because she's been red-flagged as drug-seeking --- who knows?), she descended upon second-string Cambridge Hospital, where they checked her in for a few days and sent her home with the MS Contin prescription.

My brother actually asked me to go into Cambridge to attempt to wrest this new scrip out of her hands before she got too hooked on it. After getting over the shock that J. would do anything so rash (or so involved; it's really not like him), my true feelings about the prospect came to the fore: "Um...no". What an utterly useless idea; she'd just go to the next second-string hospital and get another prescription that way. People just don't seem to look at wealthy, white, grandmother-aged women and think "drug abuse".

This episode followed on the heels of a visit she made in September to a doctor on Martha's Vineyard (apparently she went back down to the island, briefly. How, I have no earthly idea). She went to see one of the local MDs there, J. reported to me. This local doc renewed her prescription for Vicodin, originally written by Dr. C., her CFIDS specialist.

After telling J. about the refill, she said of the MV doc: "He shouldn't have done that". She is utterly aware that the trajectory she's on is negative, of course.

Every time I think "OK, *this* is what it looks like, watching someone spin out"...it gets worse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elise,

My narcisstic mother is also a prescription drug addict, though she will fly into a rage if you even imply anything of the kind. No, it's her "bad back injury" (after she fell off a backyard deck while drinking w/valium), and she NEEDS this medication. Her doctors are all the BEST and THEY ALL AGREE that she NEEDS a purse full of orange vials.

She wakes up sick every morning, and is high and wired every night. We have entire conversations that she denies months later. She will tell me she met Warren Beatty on the street one day, and a few months later, it was not Warren Beatty at all, bu Paul Newman, and I must be the one who is confused.

Anyway, the addiction throws a new and different wrench into the already difficult narcissistic issues. I don't see someone else dealing with the same problem with a parent very often, so I am so grateful for the internet and blogs like yours. I look forward to what you will write and thanks for letting me be a guest here. Yes, I'm also in Boston.

bonsai said...

So many "Anonymous" posters...

I wish there were some way to help me differentiate among you!

But in any event...glad to know that my blog is of at least some help to you.

Best to you,

Elise