This is a transcript of a phone call from one of my mother's former friends. It came during the worst part of period during which I realized that there was no improvement possible for my mother, after which I went 100% no contact. I transcribed the entire phone message, word for word --- I thought it was that important.
I've been doing some housekeeping on my laptop's hard drive and found this gem. Amazing to have dug it up.
Note that the Sally in question had debilitating fibromyalgia, and had had to give up a college teaching career in her 50s due to her illness. She'd met my mother at a clinic for chronic fatigue syndrome. She'd at first extended every kindness and energy to my mother, her newfound friend. Later, she saw how badly she'd been burned after she built an entire vacation with her husband around the needs of my mother. She rented a large SUV to help move my mother from her hotel in the Boston area down to Martha's Vineyard, and then my mother flaked on her at the last possible second, leaving Sally holding the bag --- and the bill for the rental.
31
July 2006
5:43
pm
Hi,
Elise,
This
is Sally M. --
I’m
calling to…I don’t really know what I’m calling about, because I don’t think
that what I have to say is really going to help anyone, in any way, but I still
have to say it, just because… When
I called you, I believed one thing about your mother, and now I’m calling you
to say that I really take it all back.
Whatever I might have said in her defense, I take it back. She’s really…she’s a very difficult
woman, and I’m sorry for you and I’m sorry for whatever she’s put you through,
because…she has really played me and my family. I’m very upset about it. Because I thought that…
![]() |
| Boston's Zakim bridge, near my mother's hotel |
Things
went downhill when I said “Love your children unconditionally”, and she
said…well, that was the end, that was the end of our friendship. Anyway, she’s really screwed us, in a
big way, because we’re planning a trip to Boston. I must have hurt her feelings when I said “love your
children unconditionally”, and I said “comply with Elise’s demands”. Anyway, so now we’re screwed. We have a car that we don’t want; we
were supposed to move her; she just cancelled everything…you know, she’s just
been…oh, my God, you know, I just…
This
will be the last call from me, and all I can say is that what you’re doing for
yourself is the right thing, because she does not have a conscience about other
people. It’s always someone else’s
fault. This issue that you’ll
probably hear about…she’ll distort into something, God only knows what she’ll
say. But I am sorry your mother is
like that and I pray that you find solace in your own self and heal and know
that, deep down, you know, she’s doing the best that she can, but it’s very,
very difficult. She just cannot
take responsibility for her actions.
Anyways,
I’m sorry to leave this disgustingly negative message, but, you know, I have
had it with her, and, you know, she’s lost another friend. I want nothing, nothing to do with
her. I just pray that you somehow
can find solace and eventually a re-connection with your mother. Maybe she’ll wake up. God only knows. So take care, Elise. Bye bye.

2 comments:
You can never tell these people what an NPD is like. They have to find it our for themselves.
Ha, I just discovered your blog via the NPD community on LJ. I have a classic borderline/narcissistic personality disordered mother, so concerned with her image, that when she had a breast biopsy done and was shown to have precancerous cells, nothing would do but to have prophylactic bilateral mastectomies and reconstructive implants at once, despite not really having cancer as of yet. Because, you see, it was an opportunity to have bigger breasts than me for the first time in her life.
She lives in a museum of a house where you cannot use a bathmat or leave a toaster on the counter, refuses to clean the house herself and hires a cleaner, despite griping about living on her 'pittance of a pension', forced my brother to let her decorate his house, and forces my brother to pretend he's not gay by inviting his female best friend to family events to pose as his girlfriend, to name but a handful of things, a fact she vehemently denies when confronted.
I am estranged from her, but periodically have spoken to her by phone, and she continues to take zero responsibility for herself and her actions, talks about how 'unreasonable' and 'demanding' I am, mentioned that she was seeing a therapist just so she could wedge in the fact she's paying $220 an hour to do that (and sniffed at my 'OHIP-covered therapist), and simply doesn't know what to do without me as her built in scapegoat. She keeps trying to remind me that SHE looked after her aged parents (which actually is not true) because that's really her biggest fear, that I won't babysit her in her old age, and she is correct.
I have mental health problems as a result of this constant emotional abuse growing up that I'm trying to get over. I developed trichotillomania as a result of her constantly telling me what a terrible person I was, in short.
So, it's lovely to meet another kindred spirit on the cluster B parenting spectrum. Some time I'll tell you about the time that my mother told me it was my fault my brother was gay, because I 'introduced him to the gay internet". I am forever her bad child, but I refuse to play along any longer.
Post a Comment