August 14, 2006

2000s: the feds


One of the things my mom has given lip service to over the years is the need for her to get caught up on her taxes. She's still a couple of years behind. The fact that she has no fixed place of residence and instead leaves piles of important papers at various residences, or has others with her at the hotel, certainly doesn't help matters. She has a firm which actually does the filing for her, but she has to provide them with all the forms and numbers, which they then crunch and submit to the IRS.

She's gotten several letters over the past few years, which I've forwarded to her forthwith, demanding her late returns. One of them stated that she owed interest and penalties for one return in the extreme low six figures --- this despite the fact that she usually gets a refund. I am amazed that she hasn't been audited. I am amazed that the tax firm hasn't "fired" her as a client, since they are essentially a party to her so flagrantly thumbing her nose at deadlines. I am amazed that she doesn't treat this particular task with more urgency; if she ever were to trigger an audit, she would find the IRS to be uniquely unmoved by her stalling techniques, excuses, and persecution complex.

Is it a problem with authority? Because once this sleeping federal giant is aroused, things could get much, much tougher on her. It seems that taxes are just one more thing that she finds to be an unreasonable imposition --- something which arrives every year and is greeted by her with a "I have to do those *again*?" stance. So, from what I can see, she just *doesn't*, until or unless her feet are held to the fire.

No comments: