
She owns two houses in New England and one in the Bahamas; she used to shuffle among them (as well as visit a monastery retreat center in California). When asked "where does your mother live?", I really couldn't answer. It was like she was in the witness protection program.
None of these houses has a proper caretaker; the New England houses have none at all, and the Bahamas house has had a series of local scheisters whose philosophy could be summed up as "while the cat's away, the mice will play". One of them actually walked off with $50,000.00 of her money, which she'd given him as an advance for repair work which needed to be done after a hurricane damaged the roof and some of the interior of the house. Her life has become so unmanageable that she didn't even consider trying to go after him. The $50K incident is only the most egregious of a big pile of costly moves she's made (or failed to make) in managing these properties.
She berates us children about the fact that we don't help out more, but we all have our own adult lives and jobs and never asked her to take on so much real estate; however, the "poor me" POV is still dominant, despite the fact that she has more than sufficient funds to hire good help, if only she would do it, or authorize one of us to do it. Meanwhile, the houses are going to hell in a handbasket...cue violins..."poor me...I need to be affirmed...I was an only child and I always wanted a big family so we could all be together...I just wanted a place where we could all be together...I worked so hard to keep us all together after your father raked me over the coals...I was raped by the legal system..."
What does that actually have to do with the termites in the roof, Mom? Am I missing something?
My brothers and I have also offerred to help her sell off a house or two (all of which have gone up in value and would sell easily), but she always finds an excuse to put a barrier in place. "My health comes first...I have to do estate planning first...I haven't filed my taxes yet...as soon as I get to the Bahamas/California/Martha's Vineyard I will do x". Of course, if she does manage to change her location, after putting in a supreme effort, she's useless for weeks thereafter, just trying to recover. Etc., etc., etc, bait and switch.
No comments:
Post a Comment