
All of my mom's mail is forwarded to me; I pay her bills (I've got her signature on a stamp; it's an odd system, but better than the one which preceded it, which was bill non-payment and credit rating damage, despite having plenty of funds...) and I forward her rapidly dwindling personal mail onto her wherever she is "camping" at the moment. At one point when she was in the Bahamas for an extended period of time, a letter arrived for her from the California Monastery. During one of our phone calls, I told her about it. The letter followed on a visit during which time she had narcotic painkiller meds delivered, across state lines, to her at the Monastery (is that even legal?), they got misplaced at the front desk, and weren't given to her for several days. Meanwhile, she started going through withdrawal symptoms, went casting about the steep mountainside campus in the middle of the night with no flashlight, fell, and injured her already compromised knee. When she did catch up to the meds, there was plenty of yelling at plenty of monks --- not something these gentlemen are used to, particularly the ones undergoing vows of silence at the time...
She asked me to read the letter to her over the phone, so after opening it, I did. It was from one of the monks in charge of the Monastery. In very polite yet assertive terms, it said the following: while we love you and value your support of the Monastery, you have put unprecedented demands on the brothers during your more recent stays here. Perhaps due to the fact that you spend so much time in hotels, you seem to be confusing the brothers with the hotel employees you encounter during your hotel stays. If you cannot change your behaviour, perhaps it would be best if you don't visit again.
She hasn't been back.
1 comment:
Your mom was so bad monks had to speak out against her. I hope you get a good chuckle out of that.
Post a Comment