
In the spring of 2003, she went out to visit the Monastery on California's central coast that she has enjoyed so much over the years. Even though she's not a Catholic, the monks there have been very kind to her and very open to varying points of view, as they make something of a specialty of the study of comparative religion. I visited once a few years before, and while I'm not into organized religion (and man, are they organized!), they were a wonderful bunch of people who seemed very caring. The foggy coastal mountainside setting wasn't too shabby, either.
Anyway, she spent a few weeks at the Monastery, living in her little hillside trailer, joining other retreatants for meals, going to services, etc. As I've observed in her before, when she is around people whom she respects and who have some basic expectations of her (like getting dressed and having regular meals), she seems to do well. I have expectations of her, but I don't qualify regarding the "respect" quotient; those monks have that God thing as their ace in the hole, those sly dogs!
She was to fly from San Francisco back to Boston, but first there was a shorter flight from Monterey to SFO. She got a ride to Monterey from one of the monks, and checked into a hotel there for what was supposed to be a one- or two-night stay.
She stayed for nearly six months.
After three or four months, as soon as my spring break began, I flew to California, rented a car, and drove to her hotel. I knew that if I called first, she wouldn't have agreed to my making the trip, so I just showed up. I'd talked with her on the phone and determined she was just stuck, plain and simple. I checked into a room of my own and went to see her. She was happy to see me; actually, she seemed really touched in a genuine, non-narcissistic way. I suggested to her that we should get her packed and she should fly back with me to the East Coast; I could stay two nights.
She hemmed and hawed and made all kinds of excuses, but just wouldn't. None of her explanations made any sense; she just wouldn't. She was immensely agreeable about it, and deferential to the effort I'd put in, but...she just wouldn't. There was no reason for her to be in Monterey, particularly. Her hotel didn't even have a view of the water; just the sad little kidney-shaped pool. She wasn't well enough to travel, even with assistance, but she didn't feel like she needed imminent medical care. Mostly, she seemed to be spending a lot of her time keeping track of how many days she'd been holed up in the hotel, how many painkillers a day she was taking, and watching way too much CNN.
She just wouldn't.
I drove back to SFO after calling my brother J. for the fifth or sixth time in two days (he was following my trip with interest, and had been supportive of my making it).
I would have been shaking my head at this point, but I think I had kind of transcended head-shaking by now.
3 comments:
You've written a lot so far Elise!I just started my Blog a couple weeks ago. It is slow going because I usually cry for hours after every post.
As you also said, I hope it helps me let go of the memories.
Thanks, Elizabeth.
Actually, at this point, the time I feel *least* like crying is when I'm writing. It feels far more proactive than just sitting there say "Wow, what a screwed up situation this all is...and there really isn't jack I can do about any of it". Except try to keep my own head straight, that is.
"Keeping your head straight" reminds me of a quote from that book "People of the Lie". "Mental health requires the dedication to reality at all costs." A good thing to remember IMO.
Post a Comment