
What might come next? I wish I knew.
I am hoping that, since I was apparently my mother's closest confidante, that my absence from her life will make her *think* about her life; not the grandeur, real or imagined, of her past, but the reality of her present and the likely trajectory of her projected future. Trying to gain insight at age 75 when it's not a skill that has been rationally exercised throughout one's later adult years (at least) will be difficult for her. But she might begin to see that she does have resources (enough money to accomplish various methods of setting up her life in ways that will truly support her, like hiring an assistant/companion, a home health aide, a personal chef to deliver her real food instead of the expensive room service crap she's been eating in the hotel, etc.). She might begin to see that she has caring, able, willing children who will help her implement these changes (again, my brother J. is the front line now --- I am no longer willing now unless I begin to see change on her part, having been so spectacularly burned by her "lip service" in the past). If she begins to see these facts, and begins to act on them (or allow J. to act), then I am willing to consider seeing her again.
If she is unwilling to make these changes (or more likely, gives them "lip service" but takes no action, nor allows J. to take any action on her behalf), then I cannot again occupy a front-row seat in her life as she wallows in self-destructive behaviour. It's too painful. The best analogy I've been able to come up with is that she is drowning: flailing and splashing about in the water, gurgling the phrase "I'm drowning!" periodically, but then refusing to allow rescue personnel to actually approach her and bring her to shore, lashing out at them as they try to help. It's as if she just wants us to watch her drown, wants her drowning to be our focus as we look on in horror from the shore -- rather than wanting to be saved.
I have detached from her physically, but trying to conduct my otherwise engaging, positive life while she's flailing and yelling is difficult (she's "going under for the last time", as she's said of herself for years --- keep in mind, my entire life it's always been "the last time" and the suicide threats always have that fresh edge to them, even though the script is old, worn, and tired). Even though she's physically in the next state, and we haven't spoken in eight months, I know that she's drowning. It's damned unsettling at best, and nightmare-inducing at its worst.
But I do believe that, given the bond that we had in the past, my absence from her life is the only substantive chance I have to effect change in her. It may very well not work, but I think it's the best chance. Even if it doesn't work, at least I will have said "no more" to her attempts to have me as her passive audience, her lone groupie, as she destroys herself, not trusting her children enough to bring her ample resources to bear to help her find comfort in her old age. Even if she never changes, at least I'll have the knowledge that, at last, I stopped enabling her and began to try to heal myself. Given the way she is living now, if she cannot change course, I regret to say that when I hear she has passed on, I will feel very little other than mere relief. In a way, I began mourning for her years ago. When she dies, she at least won't be suffering anymore, nor will she be attempting to get those who care about her to sit and watch her from the shore as she drowns in slow motion, choking and flailing.
2 comments:
What you are doing - caring for yourself is the best thing you can do for her. There was a quote I wanted to share but lost it during my slumber.
I am so glad you wrote this because I have been assailed my letters blaming me for why I had to leave the relationship. I still have compassion for a person who is mentally ill but it does not mean I have to engage with the disorder. Being so sick, my time with her put me into the most severe "crash" a term for people with CFIDS which means you become very ill and bedbound due to using more energy that the very little you have. your mother used every means possible to exhaust me. Lies about suicide, Phd, your fiance, your brother who she mistreated, lies, lies ,lies and suicise once a week, 3 times a week to me who had one golden goal - to go to the NE and see my beloved daughter who has been devestated by how severely ill I am with CFIDS which had affected my heart. My one dream and goal, to help my daughter who had a rough year, to show up and have some fun on our budget. But I sadly let your mother know that we were coming and then it became what we could do for her. She cause the most hellacious chaos everytime I told her we were coming to see my daughter. finally we worked her into our plans - only one problem - our daughter was a problem. She asked us to move her to a house, we pais for everything upfront with the agreement she would cover the costs associated with her move. Guess what, we lost our seculity deposits for hotel rooms, so that we wouldn't be too close, rented a mamouth vehicle and all kinds of choas ensued and she left me holding the bag, exhausted and it looked like I was too sick, now to go to see my daughter. I doesn't sound terrible but with this disease, severe "crashes" can take me a year to recover from.
I accidentally picked up the phone and it was her. I was pleasant because I am too sick for drama - I told her I lost the money for the security deposit and the other costs and she just said F- Y- and hung up.
I have a pair of shabby sandles that I could have bought for the trip - she didn't have the sense of "right action' to pay for what she wore us down insisting we do for her. Thinking about this is not good but she has ptenty of energy to send pages and pages of gibberish blame but not the good sense to keep up the 'karma' that was created between us.
I can't allow myseld to vent as I am too weak. But E, bless your heart, she is a heavry trip for a family to put up with. I sincerely hope you don't mind my venting but I thoujght - hey - know one knows me, except you and I can get it off my chest.
So,so So SADly, I can't get to where I was in May, capable of flying, short excursions, the possibility to bring some joy to our daughter who was lookinf forward to her mother being a little better.
This is so sad, I am so sad, I am too sick to visit with friends, to meet all the people I have told I was coming and could we visit.
Enough - I made my statement.
Blessings E,
S
Hello, Esteemed Anonymous One!
It sounds from your post that you won't be able to make your originally planned trip to New England? If so, I am so very, very sorry. You didn't only get "played", as you stated before, but also steamrollered.
May I suggest that you send any letters back to her, unopened? It might be the best way of protecting yourself. It also deprives her of the satisfaction of venting bile on you. I can't believe she has turned this all around into a scenario where you are to blame. Well, actually, I can! But the sheer extent of it all still boggles my mind.
Call or email anytime
hugs
Elise
Post a Comment