December 26, 2006

window shopping


This is a post I made to one of the online ACON (Adult Children of Narcissists) groups on Christmas Eve:

~~~~~~~~~~

I just came back from a trip to Boston with my newlywed husband. We walked around the city, peoplewatched, and looked at the lights as dusk fell. We listened to groups of street musicians and got some dinner. We mostly had a good time, but...

We were very near the hotel where my elderly N-mom has holed herself up forever (most recently for a year, but over the past five years, on and off for over 50% of the time...she needs assisted living and won't allow it, as I've posted before, so living in a hotel, on room service, is her answer instead). It just upset me to be that near her (we haven't spoken in a year, either in person or by phone). We were only blocks away.

I also saw all the families...not just young parents with their kids, but also folks in their 20s, 30s, 40s with their older parents: smiling, walking, getting their last bit of shopping dealt with. Many seemed legitimately happy to be together on Christmas Eve.

I'm not a Christian, but I generally have no problem getting into the spirit of giving and light, particularly if it's outside of the context of the veritable stranglehold my N-mom always had on Christmas. But today, watching people laughing and skating on a pond in the middle of Boston Common, I just burst into tears and buried my head in my husband's chest, crying. (I'm pre-menstrual at the moment, which I'm sure didn't help...).

My N-Mom always made SUCH a big deal about Christmas --- it had to be JUST SO (carved wooden angels she bought when she worked in Germany in her 20s placed on the mantel with greens she'd gathered, very specific classical music on the stereo with her alto voice singing intermittently-in-tune harmonies, and LOTS of wine for her, of course). It was like a freakin' pageant...it wasn't awful when viewed as a one-time-only event, but if anything got in the way of her doing everything in the exact right order in the exact right way, or if anything came up that needed more attention than her process, it was best to run for the hills. Even after she was no longer officially hosting or facilitating, she was passive/aggressively controlling everything.

One year, she got upset at my brother and SIL when they brought along a menorah (they're Jewish) during a year when Xmas and Hanukkah coincided; their twins were 7 or 8 and it was very important to them. This was at *my house*, when *I* was hosting (why would *she* have gotten upset, or rather, what *right* did she have to get upset?). Of course, the word "host" was relative, as my brother M. wasn't in attendance --- again, her wishes, not mine. She sputtered about how her before-dinner prayers were resented by us (yeah, Mom --- you're the only Christian at the table and you're running roughshod over us, as a captive audience, with your pompous "form over content"). She actually managed to get a few oblique passive-aggressive zingers in, *during the prayer*, about her heathen, non-Christian children.

My brother and SIL were respectful to my ex-husband and me about setting up and lighting the menorah, and I had no argument with them. But given my mom's reaction to them, and then her own studied piousness in offering her prayers before dinner (she took my hand at the table to offer the prayer, and I just wanted to run away screaming)...in a way, I felt like it was just a big fight about religion --- and in the house of a host who is a committed agnostic...beyond rude...I felt like an appliance at best (just there to facilitate everybody else's Christmas "home movie"; my goal for myself was just to get through it), and at worst, like a doormat.

Don't get me wrong...life with her was hell, and Christmas was always among the worst of it. I wouldn't have it back for anything. But I feel like such an orphan now, watching other people having happy, relatively uncomplicated times together with their parents. I never had that, and I never *will* have that, and it's all starting to hit me.

All I can do is create wonderful new memories with my husband. He was wonderfully understanding today, and is truly my "family" (it's hard to think of that word as something other than a 4-letter word, but I'm making progress). I also take joy in knowing that my relationships with my two brothers, despite her efforts to get between us, are intact and healthy. We're all healthy, other than the shared psychological horror at the fact that she's rotting away alone in her $40,000-a-year hotel suite with her "paid friends" (the hotel staff). Things could be a lot worse.

My best to everybody, whether you celebrate Christmas, Hannukah, the solstice, etc. --- and thoughts of a happy 2007.

3 comments:

Liesel Elliott said...

I've just come to visit from a comment you made on my blog, and I had to comment.

I just want you to know that I admire your courage and fortitude. I struggle all the time with my relationship with my mother, and although my therapist years ago asked me why I didn't just cut her out of my life - I couldn't do it. I am unable to do it for myself. I may do it for my son, but she would have to do something bad enough for me to make the break...and she seems to realize that she is on thin ice in that area.

The holidays are awful for me as well, not just Christmas, but most holidays. I tend to curl up into a ball and not do anything to celebrate, and then I feel terrible that I am denying my son the experience of the "true" holiday, which still is, in my twisted mind, the over the top drama that my mother always had (and still has).

Anonymous said...

I love your "family movie" analogy. That illusion they chose to sacrifice us to instead of honoring us as beloved, cherished children is their sick narcissistic relic. Even a holiday of love and light can't defeat it.

I imagine this year will be hard as my first year as a fellow "orphan" but with all of the drama from the past, it's also the first year I'm not stressed over visiting, gifting, etc. I'm glad your hubby was there for you when you broke down. I'm sure mine will be doing double-duty closer to the holidays. :D

Anonymous said...

'"family" (it's hard to think of that word as something other than a 4-letter word...)'

Wow. I've had that thought for years, but this is the first time I've ever seen anyone else articulate it.

(I know you have a lot of other Anonymous posters, so for mine, I'll just start using this name:)
-Cassandra