January 7, 2007

no going back


The following is a post from a very wise participant in one of the ACON (adult children of narcissists) online forums. There are many things I've wanted to post about lately, but this synthesizes a lot of the thoughts I've been having.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Expectations that she might change - I see those as your dreams of what a mother-daughter relationship is supposed to be. Grieving the loss of a loved one is always hard; painful. But grieving the loss of a loved one who is still alive is much, much harder. When we get to the point of needing to grieve the loss of one who is still alive, it means that we realize we need to kill off our dreams. We have to give up on the dreams of everything that was supposed to be but never was and never will be. What can suck more than that? And when that N should finally die, we are left grieving both sides of the fence - what is gone now, and also what we never had to begin with. Whereas the norm would be to treasure the memories and the love shared, to celebrate the person's life, and then to grieve for what we can no longer share. But in the case of ACONs, the grief is doubly as intense. It's not really our failure, but it can feel like that - What is so wrong with me that I never deserved to be loved in the first place? How many times have I subconsciously asked myself that question! All I am saying is that I totally get your thinking about if your mother were dead you would finally be able to give up your expectations or hopes that she might change.

But I've been through this scene with my father. And knowing that he was dead and could no longer change didn't help. Because it set into stone the fact that I never had "it" and never will. For me it felt like total defeat. It took close to a year, but when I finally grieved all I could with tears, I suddenly felt relief. It wasn't easy, but I could finally admit that I was glad he was gone. That finally, my life would belong to me, not to my father. I would no longer have to worry about what he would say or think or do every time I spoke or thought or did. I could finally just be me! In my case, both my parents are/were Ns so my complete and total emotional freedom didn't really arrive until I moved many many miles away from my Nmom, Nbro, and Nsis. But now that I have it (my emotional freedom), believe me, there is NO GOING BACK.

No comments: