
It's my mother's 77th birthday today. Perhaps because she was always fond of grand gestures (as opposed to the day-to-day upkeep of relationships) birthday celebrations and parties seemed to have a bigger weight with her and my immediate family than with most other people. At least, most other adult people.
As I referenced in another post about birthdays (this time, my birthday), her celebration of my birthday always contained a liberal helping of her recounting the process of labor and birth (my birth took all of two hours, so fortunately there wasn't much to say). It became another chapter in the Story of Liz. If this had been an occasional part of my birthday, that would have been one thing, but every year, it was an unavoidable part of the Birthday Spiel...recounted on the phone if I wasn't with her.
All this programming about the importance of birthdays leaves me particularly unsettled today. Otherwise, of late, I am able to keep the focus on myself, and on how (through the "no contact" rule) I am so much better off now that I am out of her sphere of immediate influence. But today, my knee-jerk reaction is "That poor woman is 77 today and she is all alone". Today, I seem to be editing out the WHY and the HOW of the situation and just focusing on her aloneness and the profound sadness of her life. I overlook the responsibility for how she got where she is today --- hers --- and just look at where she is.
Thank goodness that I've gotten to the point where I don't generally hold this point of view. The focus on her (while editing out any information about how her own selfishness and shortsightedness have brought her to her current reality) is exactly what she's always expected of me, and always (until recently) received. This birthday thing is one of the most deeply-ingrained parts of my upbringing. In general, I've been feeling fine about how things have been going (thanks to the GCM and to the simple passage of time since I established my "no contact" status). But it's possible that the birthday thing won't improve for me until she actually passes away.
3 comments:
I'm sorry Elise that you are feeling troubled. It sucks.
I have issues with birthdays too. My mother would always like to remind me of how she could have aborted me.
Just found your blog and am reading through the archives between breaks at work! I love your voice and you are a compelling writer.
I wanted to comment on this one because my NMIL's birthday and Christmas are always sad occasions for my husband as well. Christmas, especially, because she loved it so much and always made it really special for her children. But now she is old and lonely, having driven away all friends and family, and he always feels extra guilty and sad on special occasions, thinking of her all alone in her apartment. It isn't enough for him to reach out (he's been NC for about 3 years now), but he does get somber when he thinks about her.
Hi Anna! Welcome, and thank you for the kind words!
My mother's 82nd birthday was just last week. It has gotten marginally easier with time.
Thanks for poking around and reading my account of a very difficult yet gratifying time in my life.
Post a Comment