December 27, 2007

outsourcing the late-night dialing


I just received an email from Tom, my ex-husband. Apparently my mother contacted him recently. He contacted me in a good-natured way, just to let me know. Asking "why?" didn't even seem to be too high on his list of priorities (having had plenty of contact with my mother from 1986 - 2001, he'd seen a lot of her behaviour and deterioration, although until now, he hadn't seen or heard about any of the recent developments).

He didn't answer the phone when she called; she left a message.

Just a few weeks from now, Tom and I will have been divorced for five (5) years. Next week will be the sixth anniversary of our separation.

He's got a very distinctive last name; I'm sure that (since he still has a land line) she was able to look him up very easily. If trends from a few years ago have held true, only a few people in all of New England have that last name. I certainly didn't give her his number! If she was holding true to form, I'm sure that if she'd actually succeeded in contacting Tom, she would have told him about her suspicions that Rob had locked me in the basement (after roughing me up, of course); that's why I can't get to the phone. If she's willing to talk with her friends this way (well...ex-friends), why not my ex-husband?

The deep inappropriateness of this new behaviour surprised me for a few moments. Then it just joined the rest of the list of her antics. In the overall scheme of things, it's pretty lightweight. I'm just sorry that Tom had to be subjected to this nonsense.

No comments: