January 1, 2008

a word from the Monastery


I heard tonight from Father Zach, who was among my mother's staunchest friends at the Monastery in California. He emailed me and said that she'd left a message on his voicemail. We had a nice talk after I returned his email, cut short only by a failing cordless phone battery (his).

He's obviously at a loss about how to proceed. She has that effect on a lot of people. Past experiences simply do not prepare people for the prospect of dealing with her.


I am not certain why she called me - I mean was she wanting me to go to bat for her? Feel sorry for her? Feel bad because she said I have abandoned her? I don't know, since I did not actually speak with her.

I will let you know what my next move is in regards to your mother.

I like your mother a great deal and don't want to do anything to harm her because she and I had some great laughs and talks and I remember them with great joy.

She is reaching out to me, I don't know why, but I want to do the right thing for her sake. I have forgiven her for her actions and words to me; I have not told her that, but I am cautious though about opening up this correspondence but I will pray hard and long about it first.

Thanks again and I will be back in touch.

I know she was hard on all of the monks, but exactly what she might have done to merit Father Zach's forgiveness...I really don't want to know.

One tidbit that he passed on was that my mother said, in her voicemail to him, that I was "her favorite child". I'm somehow not surprised...she had the longest time with me; I'm the only one who ever lived alone with her (my brother J. was an only child for six years before my brother M. came along, but my father was on the scene then). I thought, in passing, yeah...I'm the one she trained the best.

The thing that made it most worthwhile for me, though, is he told me that what I'd done, in cutting contact with my mother due to the circumstances, was "brave". Wow. I'm not a Christian, but hearing that (coming from a religious man of unquestionable scruples who happens to know my mother and understand the situation) goes an awfully long way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope he chooses to be brave and cut her off, too. Fire is hot the first, the second, and infinite time!

She's really reaching out to people lately, isn't she? Must be running low on n-supply.