May 7, 2008

my mother, the non-racist


My brother J., visiting my mother in the hospital during her February 2008 stay, witnessed the notoriously non-racist*, ecclectic*, worldly* woman having the following conversation with a black hospital orderly. He found it so entertainingly off-base that he actually jotted it down:

MOM

What country are you from?

ORDERLY

The USA.

MOM

You immigrated?

ORDERLY

I was born here.

MOM

You were born here?

ORDERLY

Yes...

MOM

Oh, that's so wonderful. So many of the cabdrivers I meet are Haitians.



* via self-report

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elise, happy to see you, I wish you would blog more often.

Your story reminded me of one from my past that I will never forget. It was the year when the movie Ghandi came out, the one with Ben Kingsley. My mother saw the movie and raved about how amazing it was, how everyone had to see it, what an important film it was for everyone to see.

She added to me, for emphasis, "you should have seen what it was like in the theater. Even the "lowly blacks" were all there, just staring up at the screen."

She was so caught up in the drama of describing her experience that she let this one slip through. Never forgot that one. No matter what else my mom ever claimed in her life about how open-minded she was, I always knew what was there, deep down.

bonsai said...

Hey Julie,

I will have a lot more time to blog after about May 20th or so. Work is insane just about now.

Very interesting abouto comments that slip through...thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious story! It's great to see you blogging again.

Does narcissism always equal racism? My mom is awful about that. Countless embarrassing and rude remarks.

Your story reminded me about a time we went out to eat with my mom. The server was a woman with an unusual accent...strong but easy to understand. My mom, Miss Bubbly, of course had to ask where she was from (Russia).

At the end of the meal, as we're getting ready to leave, my mom said, "Keep up the good work on your English."

The server looked stunned, and said, "I've been speaking English since I was a child."

Soooooo embarrassing!

Nina said...

Elise,

It's soooo mortifying to be around your parent when they say stuff like that. As hard as you try to say...that's them...it's coming out of HER/HIS mouth and I'm not responsible...one can't help but feel it reflects on you.

You know those sayings? Like father like son? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree? We can't help but feel tainted.

In my father's case it's so ironic...because he's a very dark man. You'd think he'd be more empathetic w/other people of color. Instead, he's as racist as if he were born under a Confederate flag in the deep South instead of a Mexican man in East LA!

Anonymous said...

I read that post and laughed out loud hysterically! My mother would have had a similar interaction. One of the funniest things I remember my mom doing was bragging about giving something to drink to a black woman who knocked on her city house door. The woman was asking for food and what does my mom give her? A caffiene free diet coke! She thought she was being such a good samaritan. I mean, really, the soda had no calories, no caffiene. But my mom thought she was freaking mother theresa. I am sure there were racist comments thrown in there, too.