December 26, 2008

Monastery Update


I'd lost track of this email from Father Zach at the monastery, originally sent to me in January of 2008.

"E.,

I got this message today from a monk who lives at (our sister monastery) in (other town, California). I eliminated the words meant just about a question I'd asked him, but not about her. I send this to you only for your information.

Fr. Zach."

The excerpt of the note from the other monk followed:

"Hi Zach,

Yes (deleted section)...and also to convey the news of the serious illness of an oblate, Dr. E.J.M., of Boston, who is to be operated on next week for ovarian cancer, but since the cancer has metastasized, the doctors (including herself) forsee little possibility that she will live more than a few weeks. She asked me to send her some of Arthur's cards, so that she can write goodbye letters to family and friends. In everyone's name, I promised prayers. Please also tell Fr. Michael F. (she's been trying to reach him, too) and put up a note on the prayer board."

I've been in touch with my brother J. throughout this year. She's been in the hospital, yes, but ovarian cancer was not the reason. Now, at year's end, she's alive, kicking, and spitting battery acid on anyone who gets near.

The manipulation of the kind, open-hearted men of the Monastery is simply jaw-dropping. How dare she inflate her problems in order to keep their attentions to her at the highest level possible when they have so much worthy work to attend to?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad to see you are back. I really enjoy reading your blog. I can relate to the attention seeking behavior. Once my mother complained that while emptying the garbage can in the bathroom she stuck her finger on a hypodermic needle. I asked if she had taken the needle to a clinic for testing. ( I would, I'd be worried about HIV or Heptatitis). She said no, now that I think about it that couldn't have happened because we hardly ever have guests (and at that time we hadn't had any in weeks as I recall) and she didn't say anything at the time which is completely out of character for her.

That's the other thing - she sometimes goes through the garbage with her bare hands. Like she'll actually stick her hand in the garbage can and pick what's in there to transfer it into the recycling back. Its just us but yeeuuuchh! I've told her many times before to stop doing that. its gross and when she touches something particularly gross she gets really mad but it never stops her.