I bit my nails for decades...right up until I was almost 40. I'd tried quitting several times, with no success. In fact, even when my dentist told me that I was starting to damage my front teeth slightly, I still had no luck in quitting.It was a habit my mother had throughout her life as well, although in her case it was more intermittent. She was fond of comparing the severity of her habit with mine (it made her look good).
As soon as I definitively cut contact with her, I stopped biting my nails. Somehow, it became easy. I don't even remember making a huge resolution about it. I just said "OK, let's do this" and went out and got some clear polish. Within a month, I had perfectly lovely nails, and have never had a problem since.
6 comments:
Shed a parasite and suddenly you regain health, sanity, and peace. I so know what you mean and very glad you are putting more and more distance between yourself and dear mumsie.
Hey, Anonymous!
I'm sure you're a lot of fun at parties.
What does "hearless" mean, anyway?
Wait --- I know. It means that you're either nearly illiterate or careless.
Regardless...
I've done plenty of weeping for my mother as well. As have a lot of other people who used to call themselves her friends. They tried as hard as I did and eventually gave up. Doesn't mean it was easy.
Have a nice life.
Wow, I was wondering about this. I stopped biting my nails at the same time I cut all contact from my mother. I wan't even trying or thinking about it. Don't take that mean judgemental comment personally, it says more abot them than about you. Good luck with everything.
To Anonymos; Walk a mile....
I used to pick and chew at my cuticles which drew the ire of my Nparents. I recently went NC and now LC with the old buggers and after over 60 years I have stopped this habit which has left my fingers permanently scared.
Never once did they bother to wonder why their kid was such a complete nervous wreck starting at a very young age. Makes you wonder who was the hear(t)less one, Anonymous!
I was just reading through some of your older posts (again! They're absolutely classic!) and came upon this one......
Wow. This was my experience all over again. In my mid-20's as I was limiting contact with my pdmomma (primarily Narc with a fair degree of AsP) the nails and cuticles I had essentially destroyed throughout my life started healing/growing-without any attempt on my part. Shortly thereafter when I "formally" terminated the relationship I had lovely nails/cuticles-a reflection of my life post NC.
And for that "Anon" comment? Speaking of the "heartless" and the "merciless" let's also add another quality "Anon" apparently possesses: Clueless Asshat. And apparently "Tone Deaf" which I assume is the definition of "hearless."
Tundra Woman
Testify, TundraWoman! Thanks for the post.
Post a Comment