September 23, 2011

800/866/rinse/repeat

I've been getting calls from no end of 800 and 866 numbers of late.  They never leave a message.  While I usually avoid them (trying to duck telemarketers), I sometimes get brave and answer one of these calls (perhaps one out of five).

Invariably, they're looking for my mother. Apparently, she listed me as an alternate contact on many of her accounts. I guess they're not up to date, and so the callers are seeking payment.  I tell them she's not at this number, and has never been.  They ask if I know how to reach her, and I say no (at this point, that's more or less true.)

It's never fun to deal with these callers, or with the fresh reminder that she's likely still running about the planet hemorrhaging money while not paying her bills --- but at least I'm gaining self-respect as I go ...

2 comments:

PWC said...

Three cheers for gaining self-respect! :)

You don't say, but this is regarding your N Mom, right?

(P.S. - Yours was the first blog I read regarding NPD and your writings were really helpful to me.)

bonsai said...

Hi PWC!

Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm so glad the blog has been of help to anyone!

Yes, I was referring to my mother in the post. I've gone back and amended it slightly to indicate that. Thanks!