April 22, 2018

External Crises

My mother and I had an extra terrible patch when I was in high school. I hardly ever got a chance to see my brothers, she and I lived alone together, and I felt the severe lack of a sounding board when it came to her. I went to the home of some family friends of ours -- or rather, went over to visit, as I frequently did, and then just overstayed my usual informal curfew. The father of this family was a psychologist who worked at the same university where my mother was on staff; the family was extremely well-known to both my mother and me. 
 
I stayed there for days. She knew where I was, but I wasn't going to budge. I didn't want to go back to her dysfunction, and she was probably more embarrassed than concerned for me. I told my "host family" just a bit of what was going on, and they seemed just fine with my staying there.


Then the assassinati
on attempt against President Reagan happened, and all bets were off. It's almost as if that event was the "reset button." I wonder how long I would have stayed otherwise. She always did love a good crisis; the fact that this one didn't involve us, but rather the entire nation, gave us an excuse to talk about something else for awhile. It seemed to satisfy her need for drama. I went home and suffered very few consequences for having bolted.

No comments: