August 15, 2006

2001: there's a name for it...


After I separated from my husband in late 2001, she saw a book his therapist had given him on Narcissistic Personality Disorder (apparently the doc thought ex-hub had it; knowing what I know now, I think that diagnosis of him was a bit of a reach, myself!). After he read it, I had borrowed it to review it for myself. Originally, I thought I'd wanted to better understand my ex, because we'd had a really civil break-up and I wanted to continue to be his friend. As I read it, however, I recognized that it all applied much more fully to someone else.

After she spotted the book, she was immediately off to the races, at high decibel levels. "That's BS! What a fiction! That disorder doesn't exist! Bluster! BlahBlahBlah...when I worked in mental health at the university...blahblah...I managed a multi-state grant...self-congratulatory words...I worked for the CDC in Maine...riff, riff!"

Defensive, much?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She doth protest too much.

I read Toxic Inlaws and Toxic Parents while DH was going through issues with his family. The latter became much more useful for my own parents, like with your NPD book. Too funny.