March 28, 2008

More dispatches from afar


Olivia, a woman from the West Coast, is someone my mother met when she was staying in the hotel in Monterey for months on end a few years back. At the time, she was working as a chambermaid.

Since then, my mother has asked Olivia to assist her in her travels several times, and apparently she's complied. Last fall, Olivia came to Boston to help my mother attempt to travel down to the Bahamas. The idea would be that she'd accompany my mother down there, then cook and clean while she was staying there.

Olivia called me a few months ago, looking for comfort. She is a devoutly Catholic woman who feels she should be of assistance to everyone whenever possible, but my mother's behaviour seems to have just broken her spirit entirely. She was in tears and said she'd been that way for days in the wake of her time with my mother.

Apparently, Olivia came to Boston, stayed with my mother in her hotel in nominal preparations for the trip, and the abuse predictably began. My mother sent her to the pharmacy several times, saying she'd reimburse her later, but never did. In the meantime, my mother went through Olivia's stuff, stealing Ambien and Valium from her.

When Olivia gently confronted my mother about it, my mother said Olivia was a "spoiled child". She mentioned that her children are "vultures" (ah, a common refrain!) and once again maintained that she has a "doctorate" (I took careful notes during my conversation with Olivia).

The upshot of all of this is that my mother stiffed Olivia for $210.00 in pharmacy costs when Olivia eventually left the hotel, and Boston altogether, to go home after this sudden blow-up. She had somehow obtained my phone number from my mother and gingerly called me, asking to be reimbursed.

I sent her a check from my mother's account (my mother's bills are still sent to me; I pay them with a signature stamp). After all, what did I have to lose? Ethically, I'm apparently already a vulture.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my. Even my n-mom wouldn't stiff money from a maid, if anything she shower the hotel staffs with generous tips. Now my dad on the other hand...

From reading your blog, your mom really hone in on the true religous folks for her n-supply, how digusting. My mom does on occasion try to pick fights with little old church ladies, under the guise of wanting to "help" them out of such irrational beliefs. It's more that they are safe targets for her abuse.

bonsai said...

I'm not sure it's so much that my mom hones in on the religious types...it's that they're the only ones who are even open to trying to help her any more. Her regular garden-variety friends have all given up.

Of course, I'm sure there were promises of really decent pay for Olivia in return for her help, but I'm sure that never materialized.

bonsai said...

Enilina...

I also forgot to mention:

My mom does both: tips well AND stiffs those same people for money.

Honestly, I don't think she thinks her strategy on this, or any other, issue through particularly well. If at all.

Anonymous said...

Elise, it's great to see you blogging again. Of all the journals, I have related to yours the most. Our mothers seem the most alike, and I think the pills really add such a difficult element in the mix that it is comforting to know someone else understands the same frustrations.

welcome back.

By the way, I'm not sure what kind of tipper my mother is. I haven't seen her pick up a restaurant tab in a long time. I do know that she can't have a single conversation without telling someone how much something costs. She's either very fixated on having gotten something for less than something else, or bragging about how much something she has is worth. Even when no one asks.

I haven't seen her freeload, she's too determined to be the superior, rich one. Unless she's getting a bargain, of course, and then she's the smarter one.

I am sorry about your mom's friend. That is a sad story.