As I went through the files, I noticed some old baggage I've been hanging onto for decades --- through many file re-organizations indeed. The question is: why?
The first was a copy of my parents' divorce decree, dated 1979. There were plenty of my mother's notes written in the margins, indicating points of perceived injustice in what she got out of the bargain, or a discrepancy between the written agreement and its implementation. She gave me my own copy sometime back in the 80s, when I was in college, as if it were some kind of holy relic.
I don't know why I feel as if it's finally OK to shred all of that stuff and finally throw it out, but tonight, I did. After all, I paid off my student loans in the 90s. I have a feeling that I kept it for as long as I did because some residual sense of needing to cart around past evidence of alleged wrongdoing perpetrated against me. This kind of constant case-building for lawsuits that never actually take place has been a hallmark of her life ever since I can remember, and she apparently did her best to get me started on the same hobby.
No thanks.
5 comments:
Good to see you back, bonsai! It must have been very freeing to shred all that junk.
Glad you were able to shred old documents, I've been meaning to clean out my docs as well. There's no reason to hang on to some of them.
Narcissists do try to fan the flames of conflict and get as many people to participate as possible, it seems to be part of their drama-loving M.O.
So nice to speak to you. Happy shredding event to you!
Yours was one of the first blogs I found last year just after enlightenment.
I agree about the need for narcissists to have conflict. If it ain't there, they'll create it out of zilch. Life's too short! xx
Hi, My name is Amanda and I am studying to become a counsellor. as part of my course am doing a presentation on NPD. I wonder if I could use a small part of your blog to illustrate the fall out on children and families that NPD causes. I am happy to make it anonymous or cite your blog whichever you prefer.
Many thanks
Amanda
Hi Packing Queen,
I'd be happy to have you use the posts. The way I've written it is already pretty anonymized, but I'd still like to know which posts you decide you'd like to use and review it first.
Thank you!
Post a Comment