February 15, 2012

News Flash

Had a wonderful phone conversation with my brother J. yesterday.  He wanted to wish me a happy early bithday and a happy Valentine's Day, but also give me an update on our mother.  The scoop:
  • She's recently returned to New England after some months in the Bahamas.
  • She no longer has any credit cards.  Whether that's because she's continued to refuse to let anyone effectively manage her finances while she refuses to do so, or is just too lazy/distracted to apply for new cards, who knows.  Seems that J. has been facilitating purchases for her, including those made while overseas.  Where that leaves time for him to eat, sleep, or breathe, I have no idea.
  • J. had dinner with her and with one of the higher-up monks from the Monastery (Father F). J. said that it was very interesting to see her speaking to him (a holy man who, as non-family, has no inherent "buttons" for her to push) in a way that amounted to "letting her same old tapes just keep playing."
  • He mentioned that he was out taking a walk in his neighborhood.  He said that whenever he has a phone conversation with (or about) her, he has to get up and move, simply to work out the excess frustration.  I had no problem understanding or believing him.
  • I brought up the papers she served me with a few years back, accusing me of identity theft (a class C felony), reiterating to him that they constituted the last "contact" I'd had with her.  Apparently, I'd never mentioned them to him before.  Wow.  He was pretty blown away by that bit.
Lastly, he gave me a word of warning that she asked him directly about me and whether I was still "dating" Rob.  Last she knew (at the time of the 2005 siege and the period leading up to it) Rob and I had already bought real estate together, but were not formally engaged.  We married in 2006.

J., never one to ever fudge the truth (much less tell an outright lie), told her that Rob and I had "been married for years".  This seemed to throw her for a loop, in his view, not because she necessarily cares about the marriage per se, but because it just hit her that we'd been out of touch for so long --- and she certainly is fascinated with keeping tallies of such facts and figures ("I've been here at the hotel for 10 months"; "I haven't taken a shower in 6 days", etc.).  So he wanted to give me a heads up that this new wave of news might cause her to become more animated and try to contact me.

I thanked him for the update!

We went on to have one of the most wide-ranging, light-hearted, and fun conversations we've had in a long time.  Now that the responsibility of creating a wall between her and total chaos is falling 100% on him, I no longer get any of the arms-length, judgmental tone from him that was his stock and trade for years.  Before, there was always the sense of "Gee, little sis is doing the best she can.  But she's so flaky and scattered ... I bet there could be a better outcome if she wasn't on the front lines".

I asked him to step up many times, but to no avail.  To be fair, life prevented him from doing so for quite a few years (he was the parent of young twins.)  Finally, I just dropped the rope completely.  He stepped up.  Now he knows.  I am no longer the buffer between her and the rest of the world, attempting to stage-manage her unmanageable, day-late/dollar-short life.  It's all on him now.  And he doesn't resent me for it!  Instead, it seems to have brought us closer, and to have added a layer of understanding that wasn't there before. Now THAT's a nice Valentine's Day gift.

No comments: