August 4, 2006

1984 and 2006: chatting, then therapy


I'd had some therapy when I was in high school. She worked at Health Services at a large public university, and sent me to see D., one of her colleagues over at "Counseling and Testing", across campus. He was a terminally confident Burt Reynolds-without-the-moustache lookalike in his late 40s who drove a Porsche. I did like him (a close male friend of mine from my high school who was also D.'s client thought D. was the bee's knees), but I didn't trust him, because I figured that while he was probably ethical enough to not report back to her wholesale what I told him in sessions, she might have been able to get his records from his secretary (whom she also was chummy with).

So we chatted a bit for a few sessions, but it didn't amount to much. During the first session, he began by telling me that my mom thought I was depressed about my dad and she was unhappy that I'd lied to her on and off (aren't therapists supposed to begin work with clients without a particular agenda in mind?). I didn't trust him enough to say what I wanted to say to him, which was "D., I really haven't wanted to burden her much with my problems since she started telling me, in sixth grade, that she might kill herself at just about any time". So we danced all around it and I went home. I had only a few sessions in total.

Therapy is stressful when you can't really let it rip, I found. Was I protecting her, or did I just not believe he could help me? I don't even know, but it was probably some of each. I just wanted to get out of her house; I wasted no time in moving to Boston three days after high school graduation (cue violins, abandonment, I've worked so hard, your father's child support checks will stop the second you move...).

I sought therapy in June 2006, the second that school was out for the year. My current therapist, after hearing about my mom for a few minutes, mentioned NPD with no trace of hesitation. Further, she added a few weeks later, of my alcoholic marriage: "Anyone who grew up in a house with a big, unpleasant fact that was never OK to discuss --- like your mother's ridiculous temper and lack of boundaries --- was particularly likely to have a long go of it with an alcoholic".

No comments: